(keitai-l) Re: KDDI goes to bed with rewamped OpenWave

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 02/09/01
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Gustaf Rosell wrote:

> The figures we got was that text data was 20% more efficient in binary
> mode. But since most sites today consist of text and to a large extent GIF
> images (which are not affected by the binary format), the effect is
> considerably lower, in the order of 10% as an average.

	Better numbers could be achieved if the keitai browsers would
	accept gzip encoded content (this is what most of the http 1.1
	compliant browsers do - the Accept-Encoding: gzip  header).

	Gzipping the content on the fly is not the same thing as WAP's
	binary xml, but basically it also compresses the data into binary
	format  before sending it to browser. HTML/XML/etc content
	typically if 70%-80% smaller after compressing. With images the
	total number is approximately 30%.

	Many websites with huge pages, especially sites with online
	bulletinboards etc have successfully used the gzipping the
	content to reduce bandwith usage and server load.

--
Mika Tuupola                      http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/