(keitai-l) Re: Tired of Keitai Hype?

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 02/12/01
There is no question that mobile will eat into other communication
infrastructures.  HK, for instance, was way ahead of the game;  6 years ago
when I first went there could not find any public phones in central areas.
Was told that because wireless was so prevalent public phones were for the
most part unnecessary.

I think there are still a good number of people mystified as to why "i-mode
is so much better than their wap based counterparts".  Certainly, aside from
handsets, i-mode does not present any technological leap.  Arguably i-mode
infrastructure is weaker from a number of respects in fact.  So what is it
that makes it successful?  As has been discussed many times before,
probably:  pricing, social factors, time&place, consumer content focus.

Next question is which of the above is unique to the technology.  Another
would be, can this success be transplanted internationally?  Is the Internet
going to be a mobile phenomenon or is it going to be spread across a far
richer base of venues?  Thinking about these questions, my conclusion is
that the current atmosphere is out-of-balance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the mobile revolution - just would like to
see more consideration of the other possibilities.

---
Jonathan Shore
CTO
E-Publishing Group Inc