(keitai-l) Re: Tired of Keitai Hype?

From: Daniel & Michiyo Helmer <helmers_at_iprimus.com.au>
Date: 02/12/01
 Hi all,

 Sounds like we are revisiting the old 'i-mode vs. WAP' or indeed 'Japan vs.
rest of the world' discussion,

In a forthcoming strategy paper, targeting operators here in Australia who
are doing miserably with their WAP services, I'll argue that success of the
mobile Internet (and lack thereof) has really not much to do with the
technology platform, but everything to do with the business model.

 Therefore;
Operators may well keep the WAP platform (which they have invested too much
money in anyway), implement a packet-based network (OK, this is technology),
and copy the i-mode business model (eg. pay-per-bit, micropayment scheme to
allow content providers to make money, hence ensuring compelling content,
etc. etc.)

 ...and voila; a successful mobile Internet service.

 Should perhaps the WAP-operators of this world look at EZWeb instead of
i-mode for a model that can be replicated outside Japan? Or the South Korean
operators perhaps (9m using WAP-based services)?

 Any comments on all this?

 Cheers,

 Daniel Helmer,
 Consultant, Communications & Content