(keitai-l) Re: question on enterprise security

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 02/13/01
Paul Eijkemans wrote:

> >Anybody heard of some hacking activities of the link between the handset
> >and basestation? Although I have never tried it, it must be techically
> >possible to intercept these signals.
>
> As far as I know on GSM it never succeeded. I don't know about PDC or
> CDMA-One.

Alex Biryukov and Adi Shamir published a paper describing an attack on
the standard encryption system for GSM:
<http://www.crypto.com/papers/others/a5.ps>

Quote: "The attack can find the key in less than a second on a single
PC with 128 MB RAM and two 73 GB hard disks, by analysing the
output of the A5/1 algorithm in the first two minutes of the
conversation."