(keitai-l) Re: Leased line to gateway?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 02/14/01
Pete Saladino wrote:

> but that's a little like adding firepower in the wrong place, no?  SSL from
> client to web server is essentially standard security practice the world
> over for transactions conducted over the Internet.  Adding a lease line from
> DoCoMo (the psudo-client in this case) takes that transaction off the
> Internet and onto a private network, so it is more secure.....I agree.  But
> I think that is more a reflection of financial institutions desire to
> generally limit transactions over public Internet infrastructure where
> possible rather than a reflection of a great way to enhance security to
> imode devices.
>
> correct?

I can't speak for all financial institutions, but ANY reduction of security risk
is a good thing, and therefore any reduction of exposure to the Internet at
large is generally safer. SSL on a leased line +  unknown airpacket encoding is
better than SSL over the Internet + unknown airpacket encoding.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144