(keitai-l) Re: sound in i-appli

From: Steve Myers <steve_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 02/14/01
> Is anyone familiar with triggering sound within i-appli?
>
> If someone knows the specifics for getting midi files to work properly I'd
> like to get some basic information.

We're currently working on an i-appli that uses sound clips. None of the
current handsets support standard MIDI files. DoCoMo has created a proprietary
subset of MIDI called MFi (Melody For iMode) that is used instead. The most
recent version is MFi-16, for the 16-voice polyphonic handsets. J-Phone uses a
format created by Yamaha called SMAF. I believe there will soon (if not
already) be various authoring tools available for making MFi and SMAF files.

Steve

Steve Myers
Manager and Chief Enthusiast
Theta Group