(keitai-l) Re: Location Agent info

From: George Ruiz <jr2677a_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 02/16/01
Hi George,

While I dont have an direct answer for your question, I do have some tidbits
to offer.
If you recall, Docomo has come out with two previous location-sensitive
products in the past (that I am aware of).  The P-doco pager and the
Doraephone were the first such devices using the PHS network.  The service
was quite simple- a user had to call in to docomo and ask for the current
location of the device (granpa or junior wandering off) and the operator
would faxback a map with the most current location.  These were early
products that were simple and effective.  PHS hadsets are easy to localize
as they serve on a network that is built around local networks.  PDC/ CDMA
on the other hand are a bit more tricky.

I recall that a company called i-map-fan makes map location services for
imode with its location sensitive solutions is one of the better maket
leaders at the moment.  I would imagine they could be quite useful for
gathering information.

Incidentally, I remeber way back when I was at a makuhari messe event and I
asked one of the Docomo people about how and if they would implement
location agents through i-mode.  the guy told me that while the
manufacturers like panasonic were having visions of bluetooth, docomo was
going to wait until java came into play.

Hope this helps,
-George Ruiz
jr2677a@hotmail.com