(keitai-l) Re: Expensive surprises on I-Mode?

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 02/26/01
Hi,

> I believe when you sign up for DoCoMo you can set a limit on overseas
calls.

Not only that, you actually have to sign a separate contract with DoCoMo
in oder to make any international calls with your i-mode phone.

When you apply for that contract, they ask you to set a monthly limit
(e.g. 10,000 yen).

After you reached that monthly limit, you cannot make any international
calls anymore until the next month or you have to go to the docomo shop
again and raise your limit.

> I didn't found it yet, but if I give my I-Mode phone for some days
> to my visiting friend, can he make (except millions of International
> Calls) some really expensive I-Mode subscriptions or I-Mode
horseracing
> bets or something other expensive things which I will find on my
> invoice later so that I have to kill him?

He can pile up a lot of packet charges by surfing sites and sending
emails and he can subscribe to any fee based i-mode service (only if he
knows your i-mode password number!), but these are normally not more
then 300 yen a month.

If you are really afraid, you can also ban all i-mode and email
functionality on your phone for as long as you wish via the phone menu.
Your friend could then use the phone only for making and receiving
(national) calls.

Cheers,
Andrea
--
Andrea Hoffmann   ---   Editor-in-Chief   ---    MMJ
hoffmann_at_mobilemediajapan.com - http://mobilemediajapan.com