(keitai-l) OT: This list

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 02/28/01
Hi Keitai-l,

as a maintainer of my own list with more than 1000 subscribers
(totally different topic than Keitai) and sometimes 75 posts
per day and the conceptor behind http://www.meta-list.net and
other mailing list related services I would say I have some
expertise with mailing lists...

Let me explain something: A mailing list can be so unique, so that
there is NO other list for this topic necessary and all copy cats will
not work. This is totally different than websites or web based forums
and basically the work of the moderator(s) who care so much behind the
scenes about the quality of this forum. This list is one of these
unique lists and the mixture of subscribers and the mixture of
information makes this list so valueable.

But the efforts to make this list more focused actually create
nothing more than traffic with totally useless mails (like this
one, which would be not necessary) and even if some people
stay disciplined and provide any kind of code in the subject
line, most people will forget about this, most will never read the
list FAQ or simply think it's not necessary.

Bah, why I am writing this...here is the standard lifecycle of
a mailing list:

http://wwwc.catalog.com/vivian/lifecycle.html

Right now we are at stage 5 and I wish not to reach stage 6.

Personal I will stop further postings now until we come
back to stage 4.

Juergen