(keitai-l) Re: Will the HTML browser take over?

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 03/06/01
Hi,

> "But I thought GSM worked everywhere in the world these days!  You
> mean I'll have to call you with, like, a payphone or something
> when I get to the airport?  Do they still *have* those in Japan?
> They're getting pretty rare around here..."

There are two points here: one is that GSM doesn't work in Japan which
is true.

The other point though is to assume that you have to use a payphone
because GSM doesn't work in Japan, which is not true.

That would be as if a Japanese tourist coming to Europe would think that
he has to use a payphone because PHS and PDC doesn't work over there.

In fact, payphones are also getting very rare in Japan these days and
even the ones that still exist are not used that much anymore, since
more then 50 percent of the Japanese population owns a cellphone or PHS
by now.

See: The silent death of public phones
http://nooper.co.jp/showcase/gallery.php?s=9&l=jp

Cheers,
Andrea
--
Andrea Hoffmann   ---   Editor-in-Chief   ---    MMJ
hoffmann_at_mobilemediajapan.com - http://mobilemediajapan.com