(keitai-l) I-Mode in US - Seattle working by July

From: Josh White <josh_at_blackbrick.com>
Date: 03/14/01
The New York Times said it; it must be true! :)

"NTT DoCoMo is going to launch its i-mode service in the United States,
through a partnership with AT&T Wireless beginning early next year. The
service will first be launched in the Seattle area and expanded nationwide
within a year or two. The service will allow users to exchange e-mail, check
stock prices, and find information using their cell phones.
"I-mode fees in the United State will be similar to what the 20 million
Japanese users pay on average, at $70 a month for voice and about $17 for
i-mode transmission fees, he said. That those rates are based upon calling and
data volume, and Tsujimura said flat-rates were being considered for the U.S.
market.
"Tsujimura was confident i-mode would be a hit overseas.  ``Cellphones in the
United States and Europe are still like 13-inch black-and-white TV sets,'' he
said, showing his folding i-mode phone. ``There's a huge gap in technology.
People see these color displays and are stunned.''

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Japan-NTT-DoCoMo.html?searchpv=apo
nline&pagewanted=print