(keitai-l) e-Wallets on i-Mode

From: Vitriol <vitriol08_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 03/17/01
Hi All,

Still pursuing my reflection on the methods of payments available to i-Mode users, I was wondering if there are any e-wallet schemes on i-Mode.  Please, let me know if the following hypothesis is totally ludicrous and which part of it does exist on i-Mode:
These wallets could be:

1- either server-side, i.e, stored on a server, accessed remotely by the user by entering a password and ID (or any other secret shared by the user and the entity that stores the wallet info).  This server side wallet can be
*universal, i.e., works on any website.  Usually provided by a bank that uses a wallet technology vendor or directly by the technology vendor itself (ex: Brodia, Obongo for Web shopping)
*proprietary, i.e. usable only on the site of the merchant that provides it.  Basically the merchant remembers your info when you come back (ex: one click purchase from Amazon, wallet from Barnes and Noble).
*syndicated, i.e., provided by a bank or another entity and usable at participating/syndicated merchant sites.  The wallet provider lets the merchant access your wallet info when you are making a purchase after you provided your user ID and password. (Ex: Yahoo, MSN, AOL wallets)

2- or client side: the user info are stored in a wallet residing on the phone.

3- a mix of both: the wallet is mostly server side but an 'icon' or link resides on the cellphone to allow the user to activate the wallet and call up the information and form filling capabilities of the wallet.

If that s the case:
? Is DoCoMo providing one?  Does that make sense for them to do so since they already provide aggregated micropayments on the phone bill?
? Who are the main wallet providers on -Mode?  E.g., stores with proprietary server-side wallets, banks offering server-side 'universal' wallets or 'non universal' wallets usable only at participating stores.
? What does the i-Mode wallet countain? (credit card number, adddress, other)
? In the case of a universal server-side or syndicated server-side wallet (i.e., capable of filling out forms for the user on 'any' or participating sites), I wonder how it could work on i-Mode?  Is it possible for your broswer/phone to make a request to another site/server while browsing a site?  I mean: the user is at a site and needs to pay or to enter personal information, activates his/her wallet (and that will be where I also need help: how could he/she activate the wallet, especially in the case of an universale wallet: clicking on an icon?) but cannot of course leave the site.  In short, can the phone open two sessions that will share info between each other.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Have a nice week end,

Frederic