(keitai-l) Re: Network technology i.s.o. handset technology

From: Cattell, Jamie - RI Japan <j.cattell_at_research-int.com>
Date: 03/23/01
Slightly off topic but ...

>  Patience may
>be Japanese's virtue but inefficiency is not.

I had to respond to this one, many people on this list are no doubt working
in Japan and will understand that outside of the manufacturing industry
inefficiency is widespread at every corporate level.

Having said that when Docomo went ahead with the i-mode service they really
stuck out as being a very innovative and daring Japanese company.  Most
Japanese companies that I have worked with plod along taking the safety
first approach.  Docomo`s performance was even more impressive given its
position as an incumbent, and having a similar culture to a government body.
(Often referred to as Kasumigaseki no kaisha)

If any of you have read Matsunaga Maki`s imode jiken it provides an
interesting insight into the saga, let us also not forget the originator of
the imode idea was Mckinsey, they saw the potential of the Japanese market
and correctly predicted that Japan had the right conditions be the first
country to successfully implement the mobile Internet.

A lot of good ideas seem to come from Mckinsey but Docomo also did a great
job in implementation.

Regards

Jamie