(keitai-l) Re: changing phones in the UK

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 04/05/01
DC wrote:
> so they can change their numbers across providers? that's interesting...

In theory.  In practice, it takes a while to transfer the number.
Meanwhile you'll have to tell everyone your temporary number, which
they'll enter into their phone lists, and when the telcos get round
to making the transfer you'll have to tell them all that you have
your old number back, and remind them what that was.

There's also supposed to be number portability between fixed-line
providers within a local area.

> in korea, I recall the individual providers use their prefix in their
> branding campaigns, and for service name... like "079" is better than
> "084"...

In the UK the numbers are initially allocated to service providers
or operators in blocks, but they're relatively small blocks so it's
not obvious which service a number corresponds to even if it hasn't
been transferred.  However, all mobile numbers begin 077, 078 or 079
following a recent reorganisation.