(keitai-l) Re: network capabilities of i-appli

From: Loïc Feinbier <loic.feinbier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: 04/06/01
Jason Pollard wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me for asking these basic questions, but it's much easier to ask the
> experts than to sort thru all the docs (in Japanese) to find out the answers.
>
> With the intent of designing an i-mode distributed PtoP app,
>
> -What are the network capabilities of an i-appli in general, as compared to a
> PC?

HTTP and SSL only.

> -Can an i-appli connect to another i-appli, on another handset via tcp/ip?

I don't think there's a direct way but we did some chat-like app using a webserver
where both phones registered and were then polling for new messages...

> -What application level protocols are available to i-appli (or native to J2ME)?
>  HTTP, and ??? RMI, SOAP, or anything like that?
>
> ALso, is it true that an i-appli-let can only be 5K + 5K for graphics?

No, from my experience with the existing 503i phones (Sony, Panasonic, Fujitsu and
NEC) I can say the following:

Max download app size (JAR size): 10KB
Max app execution size (when running): far beyond 10KB (in fact we didn't have any
trouble)
Max scratchpad size (for persistant data storage): 5KB

We loaded gfx bigger than 5KB (where our app was already almost 10KB) and had no
problems.

As a sidenote: iApplis are *not* Applets - they are J2ME applications.