(keitai-l) Re: tiled image viewer

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 04/06/01
Henry Minsky writes:
> To test out a theory,
> I wrote a hack which fetches the  Dilbert comic onto my server every day,

What was your theory?

> i-Mode is way too slow. It's quicker to walk over and buy the newspaper
from
> the newstand on the platform. Probably not much more expensive either,
> with what DoCoMo charges for packets.

Using an iAppli to download a GIF seems to be missing the point - especially
for a comic strip, where much of the impact is only available when you can
take
in a whole frame at once.  I mean, except in the arguable case of nude
photos
of supermodels, who'd want to scroll around in a keitai-hosted GIF anyway?

The real killer iAppli is to use Java on phones to host a more
calligraphics,
vector-graphic style of comic art rendering - perfect for the
nearly-schematic
austerity of Scott Adams' pen.  If you doubt this, sign up for my one-time-
only offer of a set of 15 green plastic charting templates that anyone can
use to draw a Dilbert strip every bit as well as Scott.  $29.95, with a 15%
discount for members of the DNRC.

If you REALLY want to hack, do some kind of off-line curve-extraction
picture processing on the GIFs, then send the iAppli a series of curve-
rendering commands.  Even at 9600 baud, I bet you could get it to under
10 seconds per frame.  You might even be able to do it in compliance
with some of the more advanced standards for FAX transmission.  In
any case, I expect that packet charges would be much reduced.

> And yes, I know I am violating Scott Adams' copy rights. It's just a hack,
ok?

Your secret is safe with all 566 of us, I'm sure.

-m
leap@gol.com