(keitai-l) Re: Why Seattle?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 04/06/01
Virgil Vergara wrote:
> I was wondering why would NTT select Seattle to debut Imode in
> America?  Wouldn't it have been feasible to maybe bring to an
> Internationalized city like Honolulu first where there is an
> enormous influx of tourist from Japan which would have the abilities
> to use their Imode telephone here?

'i-mode' services outside Japan will operate over existing networks
that do not use DoCoMo's chosen PDC system.  So existing i-mode
handsets will not be able to use them.  Of course it would be
possible to make a dual-mode handset, but it hasn't been done yet
because i-mode only operates over PDC... ;-)

> I just thought that Honolulu would have been the perfect launch pad
> for Imode since it would offer America a glimpse into it's
> technology.

I think DoCoMo is sharing business and marketing expertise, not
technology.