(keitai-l) Re: SMS for ringing tones, screen savers and images

From: Daniel Scuka <daniel_at_japaninc.com>
Date: 05/31/01
Hi Jeff,

The GSM Association says 50 billion SMS messages were sent worldwide over
GSM networks from Jan-Mar 2001 (that's 16.66 billion per month), and
forecasts the total to reach 200 billion global messages for the year 2001
(the rate was 1 billion messages per month in April 1999).
http://www.gsmworld.com/news/press_2001/press_releases_22.html

But I'm skeptical of your news report.

IMHO, it's unlikely that SMS can provide rich functionality comparable to
the wireless information services based on a mobile browser (Access,
Openwave, etc.) platform. Complimentary, perhaps, but ultimately limited.

Remember back in the wireline Net's early days (c. 1994-95) when
Web-to-email gateways were briefly popular? Lots of companies still didn't
provide browser-based Web access, but they did provide email. When I first
joined Fuji Xerox in 1996, we still used the Xerox-designed Star workstation
(no browser). I remember looking for Web-to-mail and FTP-to-mail gateways
that would deliver files from FTP archives or allow me to send Star-mail
messages to colleagues at other companies that had SMTP or X.25 mail. It was
fun, but the mail paradigm -- send a message/receive a message (perhaps with
a file attached) -- is fundamentally clunky.

As soon as companies (FX included) deployed browsers on all desktops, usage
of whatever-to-mail gateways dropped right off (I'd be curious to hear if
anyone still uses them).

The same will happen to SMS when mobile surfers in Europe have a browser
keitai in which the browser integrates and supports easy-to-use browsing,
SMTP (or IMAP4) mail, and GUI services like access to Web storage or to
intranet file servers, as well as offer cool i-mode-, EZWeb-, or J-Sky-like
services. In other words, they are sufficiently different technologies that
the same aims **can't** be met.

--Daniel