(keitai-l) Any interest in JavaHz mailing list translations?

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 06/09/01
I've been following the JavaHz mailing list, a GigaHz-subsidiary mailing
list
for Java mobile phone programming.  (You can sign up at GigaHz).

It's pretty cool - I found out just now that something I assumed
was impossible appears to be quite doable after all.

I've been translating as I go.  I started doing this because I thought it
would help me toward three goals:

 1. Better Japanese literacy (still dead meat without www.rikai.com -
    thank you thank you thank you, Todd the Code-God!)

 2. Learning Java for mobile phones (learning *Java*, for that matter)

 3. Gathering information for....well....remember that FAQ we promised you?

Recently, I've been wondering if other people would be interested in seeing
what's going on in the JavaHz list without having to read Japanese.

As we know from the howls and whimpers heard every time a pointer to the
DoCoMo API spec is posted, there are quite a few KEITAI-L subscribers
who are not literate enough in Japanese to make use of primary sources.
For them, all this stuff looks like

   (Kanji-kanji-kanji) Java (kanji-kanji-kanji) protected (kanji kanji) 503
   (kanji-kanji) DoCoMo (kanji-kanji-kanji-kanji) MIDP (kanji-kanji....)

I can relate - I'm barely able follow this stuff myself half the time.

I'd also like some advice on any issues involved in "publishing"
translations
of this kind of content.  I suspect there are some cultural sensitivities
involved,
and I *know* that my translations fall short.

For example: Should I name names?  Should I just do a digest and leave names
out of it?  (If I take it to the web, I probably will at least leave e-mail
addresses
out, to reduce spamming.)  I'm currently doing an interlaced
Japanese/English
version (Japanese sentence followed by English sentence).  Would most
Japanese native on the JavaHz list speakers react with horror, puzzlement,
delight, indignation, or what?

Any and all feedback appreciated.

-m
leap@gol.com