(keitai-l) Re: SVG == Scaleable Vector Graphics

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 06/11/01
> From: keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net
> [mailto:keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net]On Behalf Of Jay
>
> I have heard that the new i-mode and J-Phones are
> going to support  SVG == Scaleable Vector Graphics
> for 2D and 3D graphic engines for games and content.
> It is awesome for extensibility but I dont know about
> speed.

Where did you hear that - could you point us to a link / source?  This would
be surprising since it would mean having an XML parser, DOM model [and all
that implies], and sophisticated rendering engine in each phone.  If this
was to be implemented would be surprised if they had anything close to a
full SVG implementation.  Another thing that SVG support might imply is
ECMAScript support, though could also bind to java, etc.

As for speed, though have not yet seen an efficient implementation of SVG,
is possible in theory.  The XML representation is verbose but the real issue
once loaded is a good object representation / renderer.

Sounds doubtful unless they have a super-handicapped implementation?

JS