(keitai-l) Re: Invitation to our 1st Mobile Economy & mobiliser IRC Chat Even

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 06/13/01
Nick May wrote:
> keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
> >	Ok. Jokes aside. Its a great idea to use irc for such thing.
> >	Hope it works.
>
> If this is other than "just for fun" I  think it is a fairly
> hopeless idea to use irc precisely because irc does not provide
> any guarantee that the (otherwise unknown) person you are talking
> to is who or what he says he is ...

Does any medium guarantee that, or even come close?  The best
authentication you'll normally get in Internet communication is that
someone sends you a reply to an email that you sent to a certain
address, so that's 'their' address.  IRC gives you reverse name
lookups, which are almost as good, which is to say, not very but
enough to check that someone is within a certain organisation.

> And if there is no GUARANTEE that the promised bunch of adVenture
> Capitalists, incubator babes etc. etc. are not  provided by the
> multifarious and  diverse talents of  Michael Turner and associated
> pixies, where be the point?

Entertainment, perhaps.

> Nick (connecting through a soroban and a piece of very fast string)

Ben. (connecting through an RFC 1149 link and learning to put up
      with the cooing and guano)