(keitai-l) Re: external keypad interface to P503i

From: Henry Minsky <hqm_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 06/17/01
Here's a big drawback I have to report with using the P503i handling of
external keyboard data -
it doesn't really work inside of Java. The external keypresses are not
reported as
IAppli events. When inside of the Java VM, the only place that external
keypresses
are visible is when a TextBox component is selected for text entry. Then,
the keypresses
show up in the text box, but none of the other control command work, like
Submit or
up arrow or down arrow.

So .. the external keypad interface is useless for sending data
automatically into Java programs :-(

It works fine for controlling i-mode apps using the phone's built in
firmware browser though.

Next plan is to get the external keypad for the N503i, and see if that has
more fortuitous
handling of external keyboard in it's Java implementation.

Henry