(keitai-l) Nokia's OEM Sanyo phone

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/18/01
I'm curious why there has been so little noise in the media about Nokia's
re-branded Sanyo phone (J-NM01) offered by J-Phone. (compare with the woohaa
surrounding the Ericsson-Sony deal). I know the list touched on this phone
briefly back in April. Does anyone know how much involved Nokia-Sanyo are,
and what they get out of it respectively? Can't be good for Nokia's famous
profit margin.

It's no secret that the likes of Nokia & Ericsson don't have the technology
to compete in the Japanese handset market (but I did see one (1) shop in
Akihabara still carrying the Ericsson ER209i phone, and one guy using it in
Mos Burger in Shibuya on a visit 2 weeks ago...), but how does a pure OEM
exercise benefit either of them unless product development and distribution
channel co-oporation etc take place as well? It must be more to the story.

Maybe it is. Anyone?

Cheers,

Daniel Helmer