(keitai-l) Re: M-Services: Learning from Japan

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 06/18/01
At 22:03 2001-06-18, you wrote:
>Chris Lowery <chris@onegoodwindow.com> writes:
>
> >> I wonder: Does Sprint refuse to carry Nokia handsets because
> >> Nokia won't make them Sprint-like?
> >
> > I think it's more like: Sprint busted its ass getting the
> > UP.browser/phone.com/openwave technology working their way,
> > and they're uninterested in any other browser. Didn't someone
> > say phone.com helped with the KDDI browser as well?
>
>Yes, the KDDI browser is the Phone.com browser with a few tweaks (some
>of which showed up in M-Services).

Quite a few tweaks, that makes them quite proprietary, even after the
M-Services bogus. And the browser is also one reason why the perceived
bandwidth is a lot lower than the promised 64 KB/s. It is quite interesting
to see how an Au phone connected to a computer with any decent browser
(i.e. Opera) runs circles around the UP.bröwser in the phone.

(The email client in Au/KDDI is not OpenWave's but Access').

Most other browsers are better than OpenWave's, but their marketing is
quite ... errr ... American. Better alternatives are:

- Access Compact Netfront (OK, we are biased...), 85% market share for
i-mode (basically all except most Panasonics and Nokia)
- Pixo
- Nokia (in terms of WAP, unclear yet regarding XHTML Basic)
- AU-System/Ericsson Nokia (in terms of WAP, unclear yet regarding XHTML Basic)
- in relevant cases (PDAs) Opera and Palmscape

/g

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.jp | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747