(keitai-l) Re: docomo and spam

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_livedoor.com>
Date: 06/21/01
Well my perspective is I WANT TO BE DOCOMO.

No one wants to pay what it costs to do work in
this business and at least DoCoMo's getting a decent
amount of income for all the genuine work they put in.

They get money for each spam thats delivered.
Maybe DoCoMo IS the spammer, anyone ever
think of that?  Seems logical to me.  And since they
are getting paid for the spam, are they really going to make
stopping it a top priority????  I should think not.

But will anyone in DoCoMo say this, probably never.  And
its better that way.  But maybe not proper, so eventually
they'll get around to it.

From the moral perspective maybe they are not the spammer.
I can't really say, because I don't know.

Spam is silly to stop because really its really hard to
without annoying alot of innocents, for instance....

And I thought I found a way to stop spam, but its hard.
I was using my filters on my HOTMAIL account to stop
anyone who didn't have in the TO from coming to me.
But a friend of mine used an alias to send a bunch of friends
a mail and that got labeled as spam.  It got filtered out!

I don't think there is a sure fire way to stop spammers.  Sometimes
a genuine mass mailing really ISN'T spam.  Its a service I and
the other subscribers want like the Star Wars new letter
or dare I say, keitai-L!

    The line between spam and non-spam is a thin one.  Sometimes
a good friend of mine happens to use a service provider that
another service provider has labeled as a spammer and then I either
can't get their mail or I can't send to them and its really really annoying.
Like I think livedoor is doing this to GOL now.

And years ago, my study abroad
program's mail server in kyoto was labeled as a spammer by anti spam
software and for almost a year they couldn't send or receive email till
it was straightened out.

    If a spammer is labeled as a spammer, they just move to hijacking
another server.  They probably can't be stopped because they can
use legal loopholes to get away with it even if they are prosecuted.

--
-Paul Lester
pbl1@cornell.edu

"Don't Forget to Try in Mind"
      "May the Force be with you"
              "Ketchup is Good"
-"Ketchup, natto and kimchee, that`s what Wogis are made of"