(keitai-l) Re: Multiple Java Comparisons and Qualcomm's BREW

From: Zev Blut <zev_at_atc.yamatake.co.jp>
Date: 06/27/01
From: "Jay" <wirelessjava@yahoo.com>

What I dont like about the Japanese companies (telcos,
and handset makers) is that they cannot conform to
both the CLDC and the MIDP standard.  Everyone wants
to put their special stuff which is killing Java.
Basically JAVA is not WRITE once and run everywhere
but it is
WRITE ONCE AND DEBUG EVERYWHERE
---------------------------

Actually if you look at the MIDP standard (which is on top of the CLDC) they
allow for an additional
third party (Maker) API.  So JPhone and KDDI are conforming to the
MIDP standard.  There is nothing stopping you from writing applications
using only the MIDP and have it run (in theory) on the JPhone,KDDI,Motorola,
MIDP
etc... phones.  Except of course NTT DoCoMo = )
But then that may not be 100% their fault for not following the MIDP, it
seems
that maybe the MIDP came around a bit too late for DoCoMo, but the
information
is vague and they do not seem to have plans on changing that anytime soon.

I would have to agree with what Matt Armstrong wrote
-------------
"write once run everywhere" is not what makes Java make sense on
phones.  It is Java's VM, which provides a restricted environment for
the execution of programs, that is attractive to carriers.  They can
let users download any old Java program and not worry about it
crashing the phone.

The main point is to have the ability to develop and  run applications
safely on a consumer phone
without having to be hand in hand with the phone manufacturers.

That is my 2 yen worth,
Zev