(keitai-l) Re: Internet 101: Bandwidth glut or bubble

From: Chris Lowery <chris_at_onegoodwindow.com>
Date: 07/04/01
I think it's both.

michaelturner
> > > Packets get to where they need to go by being routed --

Except when they don't:

tonychan
> > I was told in Hong Kong at least that connecting to the local Internet
> > Exchange, which would allow an ISP to connect to any ISP connected to
> > that Exchange, does not guarantee Internet connectivity. .....

so not everybody shoulders the Great Burden evenly.

mt
> One thing that is clearly wrong: the idea that ISPs, in general,
> buy international bandwidth.

They haven't, it's been sort of assumed as the price of entry,
running as it does on some remaining assumptions from a Time
Gone By (and a more gnomish, quality-oriented priesthood).

mt
> It therefore makes sense that a large burden of the communication
> cost in Hong Kong will be for overseas traffic, AND that there are
> some peculiar restrictions on connectivity.

So they're an extreme case, but will the practice spread? Wherever
local pressures are strongly felt, I guess, and someone's heard
you can actually do it (provide IP service without connecting
outside 'home turf').

mt
> By contrast, the vast bulk of Japan internet communications is
> with Japan, and I don't see Japan blocking sites.

Not in the culture. Not after the Commodore, anyway. Not from
the inside looking out.

mt
> I don't think you can reasonably extrapolate from Hong Kong
> to the rest of the Pacific Basin.

It's going to be fun watching the Chinese try isn't it?
I mean, they (and Japan) have been extrapolating all over
Sounteast Asia for a few hundred years.

tonychan
> > Then again, there is the bandwidth glut/bubble argument.

It's going to be a great excuse for 'shielding' yourself from
traffic you don't need/want. What if the bandwidth glut/crunch
is both? Little dark borders here and there, so a packet may
have to make a few more hops before it gets where it's going,
or not.

-chris
I do not follow the global networking industry. but I'm a fan.

--
Chris Lowery - Emergency Interface Technician - www.onegoodwindow.com
"doctor, heal thyself."