(keitai-l) Re: unofficial english site listing?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 07/13/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>The problem with IP address validation is there is no guarantee that
>DoCoMo
>will not new IP blocks in the future.

Absolutely. They do post them on a  webpage, I know - but one cannot
guarantee they would post new ones in a timely fashion.

However, many people are using Mika's excellent phone identifier class,
which has to be updated each time a new phone is released, so keeping on
top of new IP addresses would not be a problem. One would simply right a
blob of code to ask 1) is this on the known list of docomo ip addresses 2)
is it a phone accessing. 3) is the phone not whatever imimic mimics  (so
we know it is a real phone)

if yes to all the above, generate an email to the admin (or even - add in
real time to the list if one wanted, though that would allow browsers that
fake the headers in....)

>i-Cab is indeed an excellent browser. Until I can resolve some CSS/DOM
>issues with IE, i-MIMIC is unlikely to released for the Mac anytime soon
>m(_
>_)m

Mac I.E grinds to a syrupy halt with anything that uses too much of the
above, in my limited experience.

While icab is just a browser and could never replace i-mimic, it DOES
allow one to see what content one is generating from a range of different
phones (line length, colours, etc etc) which is very useful indeed. (If
I-mimic can't do that, it would be a good extra feature - don't try to
mimic a whole host of phones but DO allow the header to be changed to a
different phone to check what content is being generated....)

Nick