(keitai-l) Re: Can phones give good (talking) head? (Was Re: Re: Sense of video o

From: Marc Printz <Marc.Printz_at_724.com>
Date: 07/21/01
Hi,

I think that videophones, particularly the mobile variant will only take off
with the kids who can pull faces over them (initially perhaps over the
price). And perhaps with people who otherwise don't see their family/beloved
often enough. As a business tool I don't see any use in videophones. In
addition they only work inside the Docomo network. As they only make sense
if you know someone else who's got one they will probably have to be sold as
'walky-talky-watchy' pair or triplet offers. Otherwise you'll have to wait
until you accidentally meet someone who's got one. And that might take a
while, which would lead me to wait a little longer with the purchase,
which...

And as Juergen pointed out, holding a videophone so it points to your own
face is awkward. It is in fact muscle aching if you hold it up straight or
else you'll show your worst double chin to everyone you videocall.

I don't want one.

What I want is a real wearable computer/phone, mostly voice activated,
optionally with video headset. The Hitachi WIA is a start but not powerful
enough to make me buy it.

Real wearables will be huge! What do you folks expect from wearables? What
applications do you expect? What upsides/downsides?

Regards!
Marc