(keitai-l) jphone/camera

From: Gary James <gary.james_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 07/23/01
> With the recent thread about video in mind, could someone with hands on
> experience briefly outline the current capabilities of the top of the line
> camera toting j-phone? I am curious to know what is available NOW.

It seems that most (if not all) new J-phone's being released have a
digital camera.  The current top of the range is the SH-07 which has a
digital camera with a 110,000 pixel resolution.  That's pretty low
compared to most dedicated digital cameras (mine has 2 million pixels)
but just enough to take photos that fit the keitai's screen.

The actual quality of the photo is nothing to write home about.  Don't
be fooled by the perfect sample pictures shown in J-phone's advertising
materials.  Photos can be saved into a data library on the phone (The
J-SH07 has [very roughly] half a meg of memory available for the
library).  It is then possible to mail these photos to other people.
There are also some basic editing features available such as rotating
and cropping along with the ability to convert between PNG and JPEG.

Right now J-Phone do not provide any support for interacting with the
camera via Java.  However, Java applications can access the data
library.  I've heard that it's possible to access photos that users have
stored in the library, but I haven't tried doing this yet.

J-Phone will be releasing two new models towards the end of the month
(J-T06 and J-D05).  These will have similar functions to the J-SH07.
The J-D05 will have meg of memory, whereas the J-T06 will have a flash
for the digital camera.

> Is it, for example, possible to take a picture and upload it to a website
> ( if not, could this be hacked with appropriate work at the server end -
> eg email it in, strip it and post it....?)

I'm not aware of any service currently available that allows you to do
this, but I'm sure such a system is possible with the method you
describe.

--
Gary James
Project Leader (Theta Team)