(keitai-l) Re: image viewing in iAppli

From: Zev Blut <zev_at_atc.yamatake.co.jp>
Date: 07/24/01
Hello naveen,

If you want to use JPEGs with an i-appli the simple answer is you cannot.
The specs only support GIF, although the N503i and the P503i series support
JPEG.
I have not tried using JPEGs with these phones via DoJa, but I have looked
at JPEGs via
the web with the N503i.  I guess I will have to check out viewing JPEGs with
DoJa later.

What Manish is saying is that if you absolutely must use JPEGs then you are
going to need to
do the displaying all by yourself.  Basically, you read the image byte
stream via a net connection
then you write code that draws this byte code onto the screen.  This means
that you will have to
write a canvas class and develop the logic to interpret the bytestrem into
lots of drawline method calls
to show the image.

Another solution is that you can get the JPEG byte stream and then convert
it to a GIF bytestream, save it
to the scratchpad and then call the MediaManager.getImage() method.  It will
then load the image for you to
use in ImageLabels or draw on a Canvas.  This way allows to send a
potentially smaller file over to the phone and
then use what the phone knows how to handle.

Of course, if you need to do more with you i-appli then just show an image
you may want to think about
how much space the rest of you logic is going to require.  You may find it
that you either need to limit your application to run only on the N and P
series phones or not use JPEG and use GIF.

I hope that helps,
Zev