(keitai-l) Re: What's wrong in Europe

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 07/25/01
Benedict Evans wrote:
<snip>
> Incidentally, PHS wasn't rejected because it competed with DECT!
> DECT was rejected too! I've read ten-year old research reports
> claiming that public DECT networks would have as many customers
> as GSM (and that there'd be 22.089745 m GSM customers in Europe
> in 2000). Guess how many there are?
> None. Why would I buy a cordless phone when I can get a proper
> mobile?

There were two public cordless networks in Britain (Zone Phone and
Phonepoint) in Britain for a short time in the late 1980s, but I
think they died quickly.  They used the 'CT2' protocol (pre-DECT).
The public networks didn't allow incoming calls at all, whereas I
understand that PHS networks do if you're lucky enough to catch
the callee in range of a base station.