(keitai-l) Why is PHS popular? (was - what's wrong in Europe)

From: Benedict Evans <inherent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/25/01
Hutchison also launched a cordless-phone alike ni the UK, called Rabbit
Phone. This was when I was still in short trousers, though, so all I can
remember are the ads, which starred Eric Idle.

Getting back to Japan, why *is* PHS popular? 5.7m customers isn't bad. Put
another way, why did the arguments that failed to work in Europe (cheaper
smaller devices, longer battery life) work in Japan? Are there other
advantages that DECT/CT2 didn't have? Or is it just that DoCoMo wanted to
build it, so it did?

"Pointel (CT-2) will attract as many customers as GSM, and there will be 2m
GSM customers in France in 2000"

-France Telecom, 1990

I heard a story that a large part of the initial take-up for PHS was from
teenaged girls engaged in 'compensated dating'...

<snip>