(keitai-l) Re: How Mobile E-mail Should Work

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/25/01
>For the SMS option, I take it that most people, when they're just trying
>to reach someone right away on another phone, would just send an SMS
>message and ignore e-mail altogether?

Well, if you are trying to reach another GSM user, yes. But if you want to
send a message to someone else, then email is obviously more universal.

>Is there a way to set it up so
>that the SMS message would also get cc'd to my desktop mailbox, and
>I could reply to it from there?

Yes, there are SMS/Email and SMS/Instant Messenger gateway services and web
based SMS and some allow archiving or forwarding. A very popular Web based
SMS service where you can receive SMS even if you don't have a mobile is
operated by MTN of South Africa and can be found at http://www.mtnsms.com,
it's got 6.7m users.

rgds
benjamin