(keitai-l) Re: How Mobile E-mail Should Work

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/26/01
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 rgrob@acm.org wrote:

> > The only problem now is outgoing mail, which still has my @docomo.ne.jp
> > address in the From: line. I get around this, currently, by sending
> > mail back to a cynic.net address with the real recipient in the Subject
> > header.
>
> How about coding a reply-to address in your envelope that contains the
> information about the real recipient? If your phone supports the reply-to
> field then you can simply hit the reply button.

It doesn't, sad to say. The Reply-to header is completely ignored,
and the reply goes back to whomever is in the From header.

> E.g. url-encode the recipient in the reply-to. Valid email account names in
> front of the @ sign can contain quite a lot of special characters unlike
> some people might think (see corresponding RFC).  So you can include both
> the recipient email address and the email account of the preprocessor, such
> as <recipient-address> preprocessor@cynic.net (e.g.
> "keitai-l@appelsiini.net" preprocessor@cynic.net).

More typical is something like "tomodachi=docomo.ne.jp@keitairelay.cynic.net".
Then you just drop the portion from @-onward, and substitute an @ for the last
equals sign in what remains.

But this again runs into the problem of restricted sizes of fields on the
phones. Even if I change "keitairelay" above to "k", I've still dropped
my maximum e-mail address size from 50 characters to 38 characters.

Well, maybe phones will get it together enough one day to fix these
limits, now that they're getting reasonable amounts of CPU and memory.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
                                             --Dave Barry