(keitai-l) Re: I do recall some discussion on this list about the following

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/26/01
>> Apparently somebody in Europe was reading this list:
>>
>>http://www.theneteconomy.com/article.asp?section=10&article_id=072301%5Fff%5F11
>>>
>another sign how old fashioned the technology in Europe
>is...in Japan these devices are all integrated in one
>device: the keitai :)

Depends on your definition of old-fashioned.

Only very few people in Europe use vibrators. So why would you want to up
the cost and weight of a handset for a feature that most of your customers
don't appreciate. It is far more economic to build this into the battery
and make it an upgradeable modular feature.

One could also argue that it is old-fashioned not to have a modular-design.
By that definition Japanese handsets are pretty old-fashioned. They don't
even have a SIM card yet. Imagine how backwards that is.

In Europe you can even get a modular upgrade for most handsets to house two
SIM cards in your phone. Any GSM 2+ phones can take Java SIM cards. Siemens
got a phone that has storage cards for phonebooks, appointments, memos etc.
Ericsson has MP3 player and AM/FM radio upgrade modules.

I assume that you will tell me how superior your Wintel PC is because of
all those modular upgrade options compared to an iMac, but at the same time
you will argue that a mobile phone that features the same modular
philosophy is old-fashioned ?!

I personally wouldn't go that far, but I know some people who would call
that hypocrisy.

regards
benjamin