(keitai-l) Re: What's wrong in Europe

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 07/26/01
Benjamin wrote:
> >The public [CT2 pre-DECT] networks [in Britain] didn't allow
> >incoming calls at all, whereas I understand that PHS networks do if
> >you're lucky enough to catch the callee in range of a base station.
>
> It would seem you have never used public PHS nor ever called any
> public PHS user.

Indeed no.

<snip>
> CT2 based Rabbit on the other hand was only available in the
> proximity of public phone boxes and therefore they did not even
> bother to implement incoming calls because it was rather unlikely
> that you would ever catch someone in the right moment.

I forgot about Rabbit.  Another one that came and went...

> Public PHS has full coverage. You can call a PHS subscriber and
> they will be reachable just as well as a cellular subscriber. It
> is even more likely that you get better coverage with PHS in
> buildings and underground installations, of which there are many
> in Japan, than you will get with cellular.

So why is a PHS phone considered somehow second-class compared to a
keitai?  Does it have a undeserved bad reputation due to initial
problems?

<snip>
> There is absolutely no base for conclusions from the flawed CT2
> network in Britain to public PHS.
<snip>

I wasn't trying to draw any.  I think you entirely misinterpreted
my email.