(keitai-l) Re: basic image prep....

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 07/26/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>	Do you mean iAppli or serverside. If serverside it would be quite
>	simple to do using the Imode_User_Agent PHP class. I can look into
>	it when my summer vacation ends (next week).

Serverside. Your class is very useful for getting dimensions of phone and
then scaling a single, or multiple, versions of an image accordingly. But
the screen dimensions of some phones are a bit wierd - (some are long and
narrow, others are quite wide) and to fill the larger screens completely
with a photo requires something  close to the 8k limit (for gif)  - which
not all phones have - so I tend to use multiple versions of an image (two
or three) even for imode, with different dimensions. Plus a mono version.

Having  to do png as well ...

it just seems like a lot of effort the computer could do.

Ideally one would prepare a SINGLE image. That is then accessed as
required. The resulting image is both cached and sent. The next time a
request comes in, the cache is accessed first, if no suitable image is
found, a new one is "cut" in the appropriate file type and with the
appropriate dimension, which is cached and sent.

Since phone dimensions are different, one would ideally want to be able to
choose whether  one cuts the image exactly for the phone, or scales, or
whatever...

Obviously images are less used on current imode than they will be in
future just 'cos 8k of gif does not allow a very good/big photo (cartoons
are ok)

If you were bored on your holiday, this would be a VERY useful project to
a lot of people, I suspect.

regards nick