(keitai-l) Subsidising handsets

From: Benedict Evans <inherent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/30/01
Actually, there are no material handset subsidies in Finland - nor in Italy,
which has 80% penetration (if you include all the pre-pay stuff). Nor in
Belgium, but no-one cares about Belgium ;)

>In markets which are approaching saturation, operators are more and more
>moving away from subsidising handsets, at the very least the level of
>subsidies are being reduced.

	Hmmh. Can't quite agree with that.

	On mid 2000, about 85% of households in Finland had a
	cellular phone. At the same time there were about 4.6 million
	cellular subsriptions. Finland having a bit over 5 million
	citisens I'd say we are quite saturated market.

	Still, the operators continue to heavily subside the handset
	sales. Money from the subsiding operators and selling additional
	accessories is pretty much the only way to companies selling
	cellular to phones stay alive.