(keitai-l) Re: old keitai

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 07/31/01
Benjamin wrote:

> *snip*
>
> The Japanese thought they were being smart (as per the above argument of
> yours), they thought ...
>
> - homegrown standards would protect the domestic industry
> - homegrown standards might be adopted by the rest of the world
> - homegrown standards would support Japanese businesses better

I disagree. I don't think Japanese assumed the rest of the world would adapt PDC.
However they did think that if they developed their own standards then Japanese
industries would be able to gain valuable skills in electronics, networking, etc.
by taking the time to learn and supply domestic demand without too much external
competition.

And now Japanese manufacturers are world leaders in:
* miniaturization, especially of electronics components
* LCD screens
* low weight, hi-power batteries

Some could argue the strategy was, to that effect, a success.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

"Connecting people, ideas and capital,
we will be the world's first choice
for achieving financial aspirations"