(keitai-l) Re: "The nice thing about standards..."

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 08/01/01
I agree with most of Tony's points here in the representation of the
development of WAP
and DoCoMo's reactions. I wouldn't say that "going-it-alone" was indicative
of arrongance
on the part of DoCoMo. From an objective viewpoint it made commercial and
strategic sense.

Contrary to the altruistic answer I could give , proprietary standards and
monopolies
often benefit the consumer. Windows, regardless of the technological
argument that will
ensue, gave the mainstream the gateway to the internet. Linux, which is
technically superior
in some ways, is not the point-and-click answer that the mainstream could
adapt and
use effectively.

And the same goes for WAP and Imode as protocols (not services). WAP was
designed by
the telecoms industry for the industry and in many ways is technically
superior and
more robust. However, Imode was designed in order to be used by the
mainstream user,
was much simpler in implementation. The proof of the pudding is in the
eating, and
for many WAP was simply unpalatable.

In many ways the argument involving standards becomes polarised around 2
opinions -
one supporting a widely-accepted "for the good of the industry" standard and
one
representing a proprietary, potentially threatening protocol. At the end of
the day
if the latter succeeds in becoming the former, the user (and thus the
Industry) benefits.

What's good for the industry isn't always good for the user.
What's bad for the user is always bad for the industry.

Enough pontification.

Graham

VISION - wireless competitive intelligence newsletter
http://www.wirelessworldforum.com/subscribe.html
WIRELESS FAQ -
http://www.wirelessworldforum.com/cgi-bin/faqmanager.cgi