(keitai-l) The usage of mobilephones among kids in Japan

From: Rene Kofoed <kofoed99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 08/02/01
I came accross a very interesting article in the Daily Yomiuri a couple of
days ago, regarding the mobile usage among kids in Japan.

Apparently toymaker Tomy has launched a series of prepaid mobilephones
called "first mobile" targeted at the kiddysegment in Japan.
I've been asking some japanese parents about their oppinions toward their
kids (agerange 10-16) having mobile phones. What surprised me
was that the general attitude towards this issue is quite positive. The
reason seems to be that the parents can get in touch with their kids at
any time.

To get a feeling of what parents in Denmark and Sweden think about this
issue, I mailed some friends who have kids within this agerange, and
the responses were quite emotional.

In the Yomiuri article a survey done by the Lige Design Institute was
mentioned, I wonder if similar surveys has been conducted in Europe or the
US on
the usage of mobile phones among kids. Does anybody know if Tomy is the only
Japanese toymaker to enter the mobile business ?

Regards,

Rene