(keitai-l) Re: Civilians at risk from unexploded WAP 2.0 specs

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 08/03/01
I wrote:
> Actually the 'new standard' for XHTML is XHTML Basic, which is a
> recommendation of the W3C not the WAP Forum.

Sorry, I misread that a bit.  WML 2.0 is an extended version of XHTML
Basic, which also incorporates all the features of WML 1.1.  (Modular
extensions of XHTML Basic are allowed and expected, so this isn't
some Netscape-ish perversion of the original standard.)  Any valid
XHTML Basic document is a valid WML 2.0 document.  With a little care,
it's possible to produce an XHTML document that is also acceptable to
browsers that expect plain old HTML, so you could perhaps serve the
same page to desktop and WAP 2.0 phone users.  (This assumes that
browsers don't do dollar-substitution when the media type is not
"application/wml+xml" (oh my god, they have a properly registered
media type!).)