(keitai-l) Re: Detecting whether Imode browser or iAppli

From: Zev Blut <zev_at_atc.yamatake.co.jp>
Date: 08/06/01
Hello,
I am not sure as to what you mean when you say the person is accessing your
site using an i-appli.
Do you mean that you want to know if the person is accessing your site with
an i-appli that is acting
as a cHTML browser (like Hanpake) ?

If that is the case, you can most likely guess that it is an i-appli because
the ip address it is coming from is
not NTT DoCoMo's gateway.  This assumes the situation where it is Hanpake
and they have a proxy that then
accesses your page.

If you are developing an i-appli and you want to differentiate  from someone
using your i-appli instead of
a browser then it is fairly simple.  One solution is to have the i-appli
always access a page unique to the site,
thus when you see this page being accessed you can make a fair assumption
that it is an i-appli.
Even better is to have the i-appli post or URL encode some type of
identifier when it accesses your site, then
you always know it is an i-appli (assuming someone is not trying to spoof an
i-appli access because they know your
identifier).

The short answer is that there is no built in way of knowing if a user is
coming from the browser instead of an i-appli.
Well except for if you always use the "utn" tag to get the user's unique id
(as far as I know this can only be used from the browser), but that idea
would only work after they have accessed your first page.

There are many more ways of doing this and depending upon you problem
probably even better ways.  I hope this
gives you some ideas.

Zev