(keitai-l) Pornography

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 08/08/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>	Everyone get back on the track.

 OK - hauling myself back onto the straight and narrow....

[Note: the rest of this email is about pornography. Stop reading now if
this is likely to offend you.]

A traditionally successful form of content on the net and in wider media
has always been pornographic or other sexual content. Current phones lack
the oomph to do anything other than provide online dating - but the new
phones open up all sorts of possibilities and - in the beginning at least
- I suspect we will see a lot of activity in this area (someone asked
whether people would pay 350yen to download a trailer. A porn-vid trailer?
well - quite possibly....)

I think it would miss the point to say  "one can do this better from a
PC". True, but one can't e-mail it to friends, pass them around at work,
etc etc. This goes on now with emailed still images. The criterion of
utility is not the most relevant in the Japanese context. Currently "cut
your own video" is still a smallish market - but the Japanese market for
Digital Video cameras is the largest in the world - by far (I think) - and
Mac penetration is reasonable. (Even the more basic of the new Mac's can
edit digital vid to some level - and Digital Home Vid is the "next big
thing' the egregious Mr Jobs maintains.)

 Delivery health clubs are already putting their schedules on the net, to
be checked out with keitai - deli-health screensavers and the like are a
market just waiting to happen - given the right phone.  (For those who do
not live in Japan "health" often has a sexual connotation - "delivery" -
as in pizza....).

A word on small screens: I am not convinced that a small screen is
actually such a disadvantage... Streaming video to fill a LARGE screen
takes up serious bandwidth - the smallness of the screen means that one
can provide a quality image and - as every little boy gets tired of being
told, quality is sometimes more important than size...  An image that
would look silly floating forlornly in the middle of a 19 inch monitor
would look fine on a bright little lcd keitai screen.

1) do the new FOMA phones have the ability to use movie clips as
screensavers? (even short move clips?

2) Can they finally display jpeg and or png?

3) Do they have the processor oomph to provide something a cross between
"Tamagotchi" and those PC games where one has to seduce a 16 year old....
(over a period of lots of hours)? (A can almost guarantee that some such
game - networked I do not doubt - is currently in production).

4) When will they allow access to significant offline storage in a
portable form (like the link to the "MINE" I posted previously)

In short - does the list think that there is going to be an explosion of
sex content when the new phones become available..... If so - other than
the above - what? I rather hope it does - nothing has quite such an effect
on the development of technology and the driving down of prices as lust -
except war perhaps.

A final note, in relation to a private bet: - the first implementation of
a website devoted to "upload your own pics" from camera jphones - smutty
or not, could someone let me know.... ?

Nick