(keitai-l) Re: Free voice calls - really?

From: Tony Chan <tonyc_at_telecomasia.net>
Date: 08/09/01
I think Benedict meant the base price of $62.68/month for basic voice is high in
itself (as opposed to high in relation to data ARPU).

I doubt there are any operators out there that can claim an ARPU of over $60,
with or without data. Otherwise, their stocks wouldn't have flopped so badly.

Gerhard Fasol wrote:

> Benedict,
>
> interesting - but I don't think I agree with all of what you wrote.
>
> DoCoMo's ARPU for 2001 is US$ 62.68 for voice and US$ 17.02 for
> data/imode. This gives an ARPU(data)/ARPU(total) of 21%.
>
> Since you have this information in your head - could you email us
> the ARPU(data)/ARPU(total) ratio for SONERA? It would be really
> interesting to compare this with DoCoMo's!
>
> Gerhard Fasol
> http://www.eurotechnology.com/
>
> Benedict Evans wrote:
> >
> > I have to take issue with that. DoCoMo's voice tariffs remain much higher
> > than those in the rest of the world, as do their voice ARPUs (sorry, average
> > revenue per user), and are falling much faser In fact, the leading mobile
> > operators in Europe in each country (i.e. those which the best customers)
> > are seeing flattening out in the ARPU decline of the past few years.
> >
> > This is partly a feature of the maturing in the market, and the much higher
> > penetration than in Japan. That is, usage goes up the longer you've had a
> > phone, but the rapid growth in the last 2 years (90m net new customers in W
> > Europe in 2000) means that most people haven't had a phone very long (= few
> > calls/user = low ARPU). As growth is now much slower, that 'bulge' will work
> > it's way through the system and drive average voice usage way up, which
> > *should* more than compensate for falling tariffs. Looking into the past to
> > see the future, Sonera's ARPUs have risen every year since 1996, despite
> > very rapid growth.
> >
> > So, it's as much a case of 'DoCoMo hasn't got to where other operators are'
> > as the other way around ;)
> >
> > )if you look at DoCoMo's figures you'll see that DoCoMo's voice
> > )income goes down and the data income goes up. Most other mobile
> > )carriers in the western world have not reached that position yet,
> > )because they have not found a viable business model for mobile
> > )data service yet. That's one of the reasons the valuation of
> > )DoCoMo is so high.
> > )
> > )Gerhard Fasol

-- Type: text/x-vcard