(keitai-l) Re: Killer Apps, and Wecome to the (Flying) Monkey House

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/10/01
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Michael Turner wrote:

> [Lots of interesting stuff deleted.]

You know, it occurs to me that the infrastructure being built for
video, even if it doesn't really take off could possibly enable another
application which we know is popular when conditions are right. If
we've got all that bandwidth, and we eventually make it cheap enough,
using it for portable streaming audio could really take off. We already
know that people like portable audio (walkman, etc.), and there's a fair
amount of interest in streaming audio on the net even amongst non-geeks
(WinAmp, etc.)

Of course, the counterforce here is that the RIAA and the record companies
will be dead set on killing this, unless the consumer is paying by
the song.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil
	    "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain."