(keitai-l) Re: The Gospel of 3G vs. non 3G [Was: 802.11 for voice]

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/13/01
On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> Yet another day, that customer may use the
> services from a coffee shop where the coffee shop operates the WLAN
> and time limited access comes as a throw in with each consumption,
> i.e one cappuccino gives you 15 minutes WLAN access time.
> - infrastructure is going to be rolled out anyway without any VoIP
> aspirations by the builders

Right. In fact, not just "is going to be"; it's rolling out now. The
other day in MOSBurger the guy sitting beside me was using his notebook
to check his e-mail (or whatever) via their 802.11 LAN.

For those using, say, pay-per-minute PHS data rather than flat-rate,
it would certainly make sense to whip the PHS card out of the slot and
replace it with a 802.11 card. It might also make sense if whatever
connects the 802.11 to the rest of the world runs faster than 64K.

BTW, anybody know where I find a list of public access 802.11 sites
in Tokyo?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil
	    "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain."