(keitai-l) Re: The Gospel of 3G vs. non 3G [Was: 802.11 for voice]

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 08/13/01
An "OFFLIST" would be good, as I am sometimes daft and occasionaly
slow to pickup on sublty.  Anyway, at the risk of upsetting the
mailing list etiquette cart once again, I thought the following
message (from nznog mailing list) illustrates one of the more
salient points regarding telcos, unlicensed spectrum and free
market economies:

> From: "Neil" <neil@integrals.co.nz>
> Subject: CLEAR Net Tempest
> To: <nznog@list.waikato.ac.nz>
>
> Hi All,
>
>     Has anyone else had any problems with Clear's 802.11 wireless
> internet service (http://www.clear.net.nz/services/tempest.html) as
> a source of interference?  They have just done a rollout in Rotorua
> and totally stoped 3 separate wireless networks that had been running
> together nicely for the past year or two.
>
> [...]

Nothing like rolling out a loss-leader to squash all those peskie
"free" or non-telco services before rolling out "3G".  Telco sponsored
roll-outs of 802.11b will put it back where in belongs (solving the
"ugly wires in the house" problem).