(keitai-l) Re: Battery life (and also: Re: Foldable phones)

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 08/17/01
>  > Microcell versus rural infrastructure - particularly deadly for
>standby time.
>
>Yes, well, but. It seems a little bizarre to put Manhattan and rural
>Kansas in the same group. But maybe there's something here I dont't know,
>because my standby time in New York sucked pretty badly. (I wouldnt't
>even think about buying a phone there without buying a second charger
>so I can have one at work and one at home.)
>
>And maybe microcell-type areas have their own problems. In Manhattan
>the multipath is so bad that it destroyed even Sprint's CDMA quality,
>as well as AT&T's TDMA. Which was why I was so glad to move to Japan
>and enjoy Docomo's voice service, which is, well, uh...never mind....

Well, the smaller the cell size the more engineering turns into
rocket science and art to eventually even cross the boundary into
magic and wizardry ;-) It wouldn't be far off to mix a few marketing
slogans and claim: "It's not a trick - it's not even a Sony - it's a
kind of magic." ;-)

This is where years of experience with PHS comes in handy for the
Japanese. I know I am repeating myself but one has to respectfully
pay tribute to the Japanese RF planners who managed to eventually get
PHS working. On a large scale, they have learned an art that the
Americans and Europeans have yet to master. An art that is even
handier to have when rolling out 3G.

regards
benjamin